When travelling by train, you can also take your bicycle with you. Trains which carry accompanied bicycles are marked accordingly in train timetables both home and abroad. The number of bicycles the train is able to carry depends on train type and occupancy. Groups of more than ten passengers travelling with accompanied bicycles need to place a reservation for their journey at least 8 working days in advance.
Certain provisions apply when combining bike and train:
- Passengers must travel with the same train as their bicycle.
- Passengers may transport only one bicycle.
- Passengers load the bicycle by themselves, keep an eye on the bicycle during transport and unload the bicycle at the final destination.
To take your bicycle with you on the train, you need to pay a flat-rate charge of €3.40, irrespective of the distance travelled. A bicycle ticket together with a valid rail ticket is valid for one day for unlimited accompanied bicycle transport across the Slovenian rail network.
International trains allowing transport of bicycles
- EC 150/151 Ljubljana – Wien – Ljubljana,
- EC 158/159 Zagreb – Wien – Zagreb,
- EC 212/213 Zagreb – Ljubljana – Villach – (München – Frankfurt) – Villach – Ljubljana – Zagreb,
- EC 246/247 Ljubljana – Budapest – Ljubljana (from 20 June to 25 August 2019),
- MV 314/315 Dobova – Ljubljana – Villach – Ljubljana – Dobova (from 18 April to 7 October 2019),
- MV 480/481 Rijeka – Ljubljana – Rijeka (from 19 April to 8 October 2019),
- MV 482/483 Rijeka – Ljubljana – Rijeka (from 7 June to 7 September 2019),
- MV 1246/1247 Budapest – Ljubljana – (Koper) – Ljubljana – Budapest (from 20 June to 25 August 2019),
- MV 1272/1273 Sežana – Pula – Sežana (from 22 June to 1 September 2019),
- MV 1274/1275 Ljubljana – Pula – Ljubljana (on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 20 April to 16 June, and every day from 2 September to 29 September 2019).
Passengers travelling abroad purchase a ticket for bicycle transport in Slovenia.
Passengers travelling to Slovenia from abroad purchase a ticket for bicycle transport abroad. The price for combining bike and train may vary according to the direction of travel.
The stated prices for bicycle transport apply for the whole route, i.e. in Slovenia and abroad.
|Country||From Slovenia a) (EUR)||From abroad b) (EUR)|
a) ticket for bicycle transport is purchased in Slovenia.
b) ticket for bicycle transport is purchased abroad.
Restrictions when combining bike and train
Construction work on tracks may occasionally involve changed regimes for train travel. In such cases, a replacement bus service is arranged for certain scheduled trains.
As transport of bicycles can also be disrupted, please check all possibilities for combining bike and train before travel.
Further information on combining bike and train on the way to certain destinations are available at international ticket counters and info centres.
Groups of more than ten passengers travelling with accompanied bicycles need to place a reservation for their journey at least 8 working days in advance.
Group travel in Slovenia:
Tel.: +386(0)2 29 22 419
Group travel abroad:
Tel.: +386(0)1 29 12 517