When travelling by train, you can also take your bicycle with you. Trains which carry accompanied bicycles are marked accordingly in train timetables both home and abroad. The number of bicycles the train is able to carry depends on train type and occupancy.
Certain provisions apply when combining bike and train:
- Passengers must travel with the same train as their bicycle.
- Passengers may transport only one bicycle.
- Passengers load the bicycle by themselves, keep an eye on the bicycle during transport and unload the bicycle at the final destination.
To take your bicycle with you on the train, you need to pay a flat-rate charge of €1.50 (€3.00 for an electric bike), irrespective of the distance travelled. A bicycle ticket together with a valid rail ticket is valid for one day for unlimited accompanied bicycle transport across the Slovenian rail network.
International trains allowing transport of bicycles:
- EC 150/151 Ljubljana–Wien–Ljubljana
- EC 158/159 Zagreb–Wien–Zagreb
- EC 212/213 Zagreb–Ljubljana–Villach–(München–Frankfurt)–Villach–Ljubljana–Zagreb
- EC 246/247 Ljubljana–Budapest–Ljubljana
- MV 314/315 Dobova–Ljubljana–Villach–Ljubljana–Dobova
- MV 480/481 Rijeka–Ljubljana–Rijeka
- MV 482/483 Rijeka–Ljubljana–Rijeka
- MV 1246/1247 Budapest–Ljubljana–(Koper)–Ljubljana–Budapest
- MV 1272/1273 Sežana–Pula–Sežana
- MV 1274/1275 Ljubljana–Pula–Ljubljana (seasonal train, running in summer).
Passengers travelling abroad purchase a ticket for bicycle transport in Slovenia. Passengers travelling to Slovenia from abroad purchase a ticket for bicycle transport abroad. The price for combining bike and train may vary according to the direction of travel. The stated prices for bicycle transport apply for the whole route, i.e. in Slovenia and abroad.
Country From Slovenia a) (EUR) From abroad b) (EUR)
- a) ticket for bicycle transport is purchased in Slovenia.
- b) ticket for bicycle transport is purchased abroad.
|From Slovenia (a) (EUR)||From abroud (b) (EUR)|
Restrictions when combining bike and train
Construction work on tracks may occasionally involve changed regimes for train travel. In such cases, a replacement bus service is arranged for certain scheduled trains. As transport of bicycles can also be disrupted, please check all possibilities for combining bike and train before travel.
Further information on combining bike and train on the way to certain destinations is available at international ticket counters and info centres. For more information on train times, fares and other offers of Slovenske železnice:
- Visit one of our InfoCentres at the train stations in Koper, Ljubljana, Celje, and Maribor;
- Visit a station ticket office;
- Call our toll-free number 080 81 11 (for calls made from Slovenia), or dial +386 1 29 13 391 (for calls made from abroad);
- Send an e-mail with your question to [email protected]