Combining bikes and trains is possible on domestic and international services. Trains which carry accompanied bicycles are marked accordingly in train timetables.
Please note the following restrictions on accompanied bicyles:
- Unaccompanied bicycles cannot be carried on any services – you need to travel together with your bike at all times;
- Only one bicycle is allowed per passenger;
- The bicycle is carried on and off the train, and kept safe during the journey by the passenger on their own.
To take your bicycle with you on the train, you need to pay a flat-rate charge of €1.50 (€3.00 for an electric bike), irrespective of the distance travelled.
A bicycle ticket together with a valid rail ticket is valid for one day for unlimited accompanied bicycle transport across the Slovenian rail network.
Limited space for bike transport
The number of bicycles the train is able to carry depends on train type and occupancy. Groups of more than ten passengers travelling with accompanied bicycles need to place a reservation for their journey at least 8 working days in advance.
Restrictions when combining bike and train
Construction work on tracks may occasionally involve changed regimes for train travel. In such cases, a replacement bus service is arranged for certain scheduled trains. As transport of bicycles can also be disrupted, please check all possibilities for combining bike and train before travel.
For more information on train times, fares and other offers of Slovenske železnice:
- Visit one of our InfoCentres at the train stations in Koper, Ljubljana, Celje, and Maribor;
- Visit a station ticket office;
- Call our toll-free number 080 81 11 (for calls made from Slovenia), or dial +386 1 29 13 331 (for calls made from abroad);
- Send an e-mail with your question to [email protected].